Spiritual Expansion and Contraction

Spiritual expansion and contraction occurs when you are setting intentions to up-level where you are and make positive changes in your life. Make the transition smoother by understanding this phenomena.

Perhaps you have set a goal for something you really want to come into your life such as a monetary amount or a new relationship . The Universe then brings you a sign or two that what you want is within your highest path and purpose and that you are on the right track.

Understanding Spiritual Expansion and Contraction

I’ve noticed an interesting phenomena over the course of the past few years. As a conscious creator of your own life, you chose this goal or intention, but why then does it seem once we have set a lofty goal that in one aspect makes us feel great, then turns and does a 180 degree switch on us and we soon find ourselves in a state of contraction?

Recognizing What Appears

Both expansion and contraction have a lot to teach us. Many times when you are seemingly receiving the exact opposite of what your intention is, it can be difficult to see the positive in the situation. What the Universe is doing is showing you is what is still out of alignment from your desired goal.

You may go one day from thinking you can conquer the world to the next day feeling like you want to do nothing else but curl up in a big chair, sleep, and totally ignore what is happening outside your home.

Expansion

When we are in a state of spiritual expansion, everything seems better. New ideas can come to us so fast that we feel like we can conquer the world. You feel fearless, powerful and strong and as though you can manifest anything. We wish this feeling would continue forever.

This feeling usually comes to us when we are in a relaxed state and have an open mind of what is actually possible for us to create for ourselves. It is when you trust your intuition.

Contraction

When your mind swings into spiritual contraction, it can seem like the bottom fell out. The change can be rather swift and abrupt depending on what type of intention you set and how far of a stretch it is from where we are currently. You may feel like you are sinking into the depths.

For example, perhaps you have set a specific monetary intention for the month. Within a day or two, your mailbox is bombarded with unforeseen bills that end up costing you way more than you had budgeted for the month.

Or perhaps the date with that new person ends up in a big argument when you thought things were actually going great and this could be “the one”.

At this point you may feel like there is something wrong with you or that perhaps you are not worthy of the intention you had set. You may feel depressed, overwhelmed, small or worthless. It is when you are listening to your ego instead of your intuition.

No Right or Wrong

You might think what shows up is “bad”, but that is really just a judgement that we have assigned to it. It is not “good” or “bad”, it just is. If circumstances show up that are the opposite of what we desire, those are the ones to instead embrace and look at further.

Chances are there are underlying patterns and behaviors that have not been consciously recognized that are being brought to the surface to be dealt with before you can realize the intention that was set. The important thing to remember is to stop beating yourself up. Relax, take a few deep breaths and know that everything is exactly as it should be at the moment. Take a longer term perspective and know that the feelings will pass and situations will work themselves out.

Embracing the Energies

You need to realize that spiritual expansion and contraction is just the natural flow of life. Our energy expands and contracts daily and by recognizing and accepting what is happening, you can move through the phases and feeling with greater ease and the knowledge that it is a natural part of the process of reaching the goals and intentions you have set.

So, please don’t beat yourself up if you find yourself in a state of spiritual contraction. Relax, take a deep breath and know that all is as it should be at this moment in time. The tides will change once again and your will soon find yourself on the upswing of expansion.

When you consciously recognize the core thought or pattern of the contraction you can release it once and for all and move forward. This is an ongoing process and each time we swing from one point to another we up-level just a bit more, in our own perfect Divine timing.

Do you want to know what your personal numbers are and what they mean in your life? Find out what makes you tick. Reveal your true nature and character and use it to change your life. - Get a free numerology report by clicking here.

Discover The Secrets In Your Numbers And Stars

Did you know that you have a unique birth code that tells your story? A code that emits your divine frequency? That your birthday and birth-name reveal your life purpose and destiny? And that the moment you were born unlocks the secrets of your soul – including your current and future cycles? Find out how to read your birth code. Click here to access this free training.

Manifesting Through The Akashic Records - Have you ever wondered why some things seem so hard to manifest? Click here to watch this free training.

Do you have the brain of a millionaire? Take this quiz and receive your personalized report plus video.

60-Second Life Success Quiz - Are you on the path to ultimate life success? Why leave it to chance? I highly recommend that you take this 60 second quiz and then check out your customized report that comes from it. Take the quiz now by clicking here.

Kris - April 5, 2012

I love your article, especially the end “when you consciously recognize the core thougth of pattern” behind the contraction – bingo! If we treat those turns as an opportunity to clean the house as opposed to a calamity, they can flip very fast! Also: I think that when people manifast the opposite of what they want, it is often the result of hidden fear of their dream not coming true. Energy flows where attention goes.

Laurra Warnke - April 5, 2012

Hi Kris,
    Thanks! I agree with what you said about manifesting the opposite of what you want. I have found that to be very true for myself. Each time I dig a bit deeper, there it is, the hidden fear of it not coming true. It is liberating to look that fear straight in the face and see it for what it is, a protection mechanism. It seems to dissolve at that point. Thanks for your comment.

Michelle - April 5, 2012

This blog post came at just the right time for me. I did one of these 180 degree flips on a big new intention in my life a few months ago and have been beating myself up ever since vs. looking for the pattern that needs to be faced head on as you say. Namaste…

Belinda - April 5, 2012

I’ve been following your articles since I’ve stumbled upon your website. They always came at the times when I needed that spiritual guidance. Currently, I am experiencing another backflip because the soulmate I’m suppose to meet didn’t happen cos he didn’t show up as planned. I’m at lost what’s to do now. It’s frustrating to just keep on waiting and waiting.

Laurra Warnke - April 6, 2012

Hi Belinda,
    I am not sure when the timing will be right for you, but that time will come. I am glad the article was posted for you when you needed to read it. Divine timing is wonderful that way.

Erin - April 7, 2012

…but that is really just a judgement…perfect timing on this. Thank you. Hey, has anyone ever told you that you look alot like Laura Linney? 😀

Laurra Warnke - April 9, 2012

Hi Erin,
    Nice to meet you! No, no one has ever said I look like Laura Linney, but thank you. In fact, I had to Google search the name, as I wasn’t sure who that was. I found her bio and what was slightly freaky was that she was an actress in The Truman Show. I have always felt that I was somehow in that movie and was being taped and filmed and watched without knowing about it. (Insert paranoia here.) 🙂

Julie | A Clear Sign - April 7, 2012

This is a great explanation as to what happens and why. I still often wonder about it when it shows up in my life! The key as you say does seem to be in the attitude we take during the process.

Laurra Warnke - April 9, 2012

Hi Julie,

Yes, I have found that a change in thinking or in how we view what is appearing in our lives helps save my sanity. When I sit back and realize that what occurs is just cause and effect, I can see the process on a larger scale.

Sonja - April 8, 2012

Dear Laura,

That was a brilliant article. And this has been one of those confusing and contradicting thoughts in my head for a very long time. Started with Rhonda Byrne’s Secret. Sometimes when things don’t go according to our plan and we see everything falling apart, It gets difficult to gather strength and move forward with the hope that everything will fall in place soon. How would you explain going through a bitter break-up with someone in the past and still finding those weird co-incidences present themselves to you quite frequently ? Maybe you thoughts of something related to that person and suddenly you see something that reminds of that person right in front of you ? Is it Universe giving you a heads up that the situation will sort itself out or Is it simply your mind attracting these co-incidences?

Laurra Warnke - April 9, 2012

Hi Sonja,
    Welcome to Intuitive Journal. It is nice to meet you!

I think it is more like whatever you focus on expands. Also, it sounds like there is still some unfinished business and healing work to be done with that person. Many times in an intense situation or relationship, there are energetic cords that still connect us to a person long after the the relationship has ended.

Patti Foy | Lightspirited Being - April 14, 2012

OMG, I just finished commenting on a blog with a similar idea, and I was compelled to comment because I’ve been noticing this lately, too!

I recently did my first group Holographic Emergence session (so fun!) and one of the things that came up was the idea of a heartbeat. I’ve been so aware ever since of the importance of that kind of rhythm. Plus how natural it is! Wax/wane, breathe in/out, open/close eyes (i.e. blink), and even two steps forward one step back, and like you mention, tides.

I also read a hugely helpful book recently called The Power of Full Engagement, and it emphasises — its main point, actually — “recovery” periods and how important they are to functioning well.

Great post. Thanks.
Patti Foy | Lightspirited Being’s last post ..Super Busy? Plug-and-Play Meditations :: Plus a Giveaway!My Profile

Robert TallTree - May 1, 2012

If you’re looking to manifest anything within your life you need to take a start with what is stopping you from manifesting the life that you really want.

Robert TallTree