Seeing Strange Faces Before Falling Asleep

by Laurra Warnke

Do you see a slide show of strange faces before you fall asleep? Rather like a psychic slide show of faces, yet you don’t actually know any of the people?

For those of you who have had this experience, I recommend keeping an intuitive journal of your experiences.

My Experience

Before going to sleep on more than a few occasions I have seen the faces of strangers, one after another. It is at a point where I am not fully asleep yet, but just drifting off. It is almost like a full color slide show of people whom I do not know. Each face is very clear for a moment or so, but gone in a few seconds and replaced with another face. The background is dark and I only see the faces. They are shown in full color and look like a photograph. I do not feel fearful of them, only curious really. Most of them are faces of women, only a few men.

It may make you feel like you are going a bit crazy!

Who are they and what am I supposed to know or learn from them?

It seems to happen when I have gone to bed a few minutes earlier than normal and have done a few deep breathing exercises to connect myself to my dream guide. Before I am fully in that state, but quite relaxed is when I begin to see the slide show of faces.

I have read that it may be spirits visiting me. My own thought was that it was potential people that I may be coming in contact with soon, perhaps those that were interested in getting a reading from me.

It seems these faces are definitely reflections of our own inner workings and thoughts, much like a mirror. It seems that this phenomena offers a small glimpse into the full future potential of our working mind and connecting to other aspects of yourself, maybe even in an alternate reality.

They could be family lineage, images picked up from the Akashic records, or perhaps even someone else’s thought patterns, or a precursor to astral travel.

In my research on this subject, I ran across an alternative explanation, that in which the faces represent the greater whole, that we are all connected to each other via time and space and we are all connected by the same source, seeing various aspects of the human experience.

More Resources on Seeing Visions before Sleep

Steve Pavlina Forum
Psychic Junkie

Astral Dynamics

Astral Dynamics by Robert Bruce

Robert Bruce’s book, Astral Dynamics: The Complete Book of Out-of-Body Experiences has been recommended more than a few times, saying it goes in depth on this phenomena on seeing strange faces before sleep.

I haven’t read it yet, but put it on my wish list for future reading. Check it out if you like.

About Laurra Warnke

LaurraLaurra Warnke is an empath and intuitive healer who helps you embrace your Sacred Soul Blueprint by viewing your Akashic record from a soul level perspective.

Through Akashic record readings, energy clearings, and spiritual business mentoring, she works with your Guides to clarify your life’s purpose, embrace your soul level gifts, clear energetic misalignments, and bring back the passion and spirit to your life.

Recommended

Free Numerology Report - Get a free numerology report by clicking here.

Power Habits - Make success automatic through the power of Afformations.

elpidio July 21, 2011 at 10:30 am

Why we sometimes get to dream, is this all normal to have a dream?

Tina Stine September 9, 2011 at 3:02 pm

On a nightly bases I see faces right before I fall a sleep, although I am a medium I do not do readings. I live in an area that no one would travel too any way. but I also some times have plenty of eyes and I seem to go threw the black spot in the middle and many more until I am totally out to sleep. I dream a lot, and I keep a journal by the bed, but never remember all of my dreams when I wake to even write them down. I really enjoy your site, I have thought I was crazy for many many years. I see spirits, can pick up on many things about a person but really have no control yet to cut it off to allow myself to rest. I have a lot going on but too much to write. but thank you for being here so I know I am ok, just different! Tina

susilo October 19, 2011 at 9:50 am

Hi Laura. I jumped to ur site and find that urs is amusing! My friend tells me that he saw a face when he was about to sleep, but its not human’s face. that face resembles like a mask.. (it has humans features, like 2 eyes, nose, teeth, etc) but looks like coming from a mask. maybe u can give us some insight?

Laura October 19, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Hi Susilo,

Thanks for stopping by! Nice to meet you.

I wish I could give you some guidance on your question, but have not had any personal experiences seeing a mask.

Danielle December 27, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I know you wrote this some time ago but it came up while i was doing a google search. I just started seeng faces as I close my eyes. Sometimes I see other things. Right before I looked this up i closed my eyes and shot awake saying “what about the south?” I know my 4 month old sees spirits in our house….ive caught orbs over him in photos as he was babbling at the air. This has all started since e was born. Not really sure what this is all about :)

Lori May 3, 2014 at 2:48 am

This has literally happened to me every time I try to fall asleep…my brother experiences it, as well. I’m 47 and it’s been happening all of my life. The face appear close and as soon as I try to remember every detail, it fades back and a new face appears, men and women. I’ve never felt afraid, just curious. I would love to know the real meaning behind it. Fascinating, and so glad I’m not alone.

ben June 28, 2014 at 8:34 pm

This happens to me all the time. Used to, the faces were always gold (like they were lit from within — like a lamp) with no background, but lately i’m seeing them in full color with backgrounds. some are aware of me, some aren’t. some seem to be talking to me or even moving closer and screaming… but it’s like they’re on mute. I don’t know any of them.

I think the calm curiosity is tied to the state they happen in. I’ve never felt anything BUT that unless I thought about them in another mindstate.

interesting site, btw.

Kim August 6, 2014 at 5:30 pm

Yes this used to happen to me most nights and I used to mostly feel comforted by them – hasn’t happened for a few years now and I miss my faces. Different races and ages – would love to get them back

Sarina November 10, 2014 at 12:15 pm

I googled “I see faces before I sleep” thinking I would find nothing on this.
I am a 37 year old Christian woman. I don’t believe in ghosts, aliens, mediums, horoscopes or anything of that nature. However, a strange occurrence has been happening right before I drift off to sleep. I see hundreds of faces jumping out of the darkness. Like photographs of Men and women. Some are old from the past and some appear more modern. Sometimes they’re still photographs and sometimes they appear frightened with open mouths and wide eyes. They are like a very fast slideshow and I fall asleep very soon after or during. I’ve had dreams of people running from an unseen shooter in an office building, maybe a hospital? I’ve dreamed of a school shooting only to read about one the next day and I’ve dreamed of the world burning from the sun. I know those are just dreams but I cannot understand why I’m seeing faces of people I’ve never seen before…while I’m still awake. I don’t imagine anyone will have a factual reason for why this is happening. I can’t even tell my family or husband because they would think I’m crazy. Maybe I am?

BillB December 11, 2014 at 1:24 pm

I, too, am seeing faces I have never met while drifting off to sleep. They look like American Indians or Eskimos, mostly old. They are never caucasian, southeast asian, arab, or any other race. I has been happening since my early 20s at least when I first mentioned it to my then-girlfriend-now-wife, possibly earlier. I am 52 now.

Starting about 2005, I practiced meditating and still do, very early at dawn. At least twice the faces have appeared during meditation, too, morphing from one face to another. One time the faces were talking — I saw their mouths move as they morphed — but no sound. The faces had intense expressions like they were shouting or arguing. When they were not talking, they had bland expressions or maybe even contempt.

Sometimes, they eventually morph into “devilish” faces. They remind me of (although they don’t look like) gargoyles or Darth Maul from Star Wars. They look at me with anger and wide open mouths.

The weird thing is this is the only brain activity (while awake) that I have no control of. One time I tried to manipulate the morphing into a face I might recognize but can’t. All I can do when it happens is watch or will it away. The faces do not scare me. I watch them for a while then think other thoughts when I think they are disturbing. I meditate to generate warm feelings after all, not look at angry faces. I will buy Robert Bruce’s book.

Laura December 21, 2014 at 2:15 am

Hello, I too see faces of strangers before I fall asleep, I see a bright light and than faces come from in the light. At times I hear my name being called, I open my eyes and see nothing, but always feel a presence. This has been happening my whole life but gave shared these experiences with no one. I thought I was alone in this . At times I feel these ppl are trying to tell me something I can feel their emotions it’s hard to explain, does anyone else feel the same way and what is the next step on experiencing this? Thank you, Lost in Canada

RzA January 18, 2015 at 10:52 pm

I normally don’t post online, but feel a connection with the others who are posting and I find it comforting to read their experiences.

This has been happening to me for a while now and for some reason I didn’t pay it much mind after it happened. Probably because it was right before sleep and then you wake up the next day and go on with your business. Anyway the other night it happened and it was kind of a powerful one and I shot up and decided I needed to see what the heck this is. Now that I see it is a genuine phenomenon as my experience has been identical to so many others (on this thread and other postings online) I have been really curious to know more. So far nothing has popped out as the definitive answer and it seems we have each other to help figure it out. With that said I will share some of the things that may help others dig a little deeper in to this beyond just the experience.

When trying to recall how long this has happening I realized that the first such experience to stand out to me was during my first time in a float tank. It came in the form of the face of a man that was kind of eskimo looking and his face morphed in to that of a wolf.

Next it feels like this “ability” is evolving to more I am mindful of it and experiment with it when it is happening.

Something that has stood out to me when reading the accounts of others is that for some people the faces become mean and even demonic or gargoyle like and are trying to scare you. I read one account from someone above about it being like it is emerging from a mask (referring to the human face). For me like one in 10 are like this. Like they don’t want me looking to deeply at them. I feel like I could look through them and some of them I do and they go away (it is like I am more powerful). Others I don’t want to challenge (yet).

They started out as white light outlines in the darkness (like looking at a photographic negative) as there is a light color like quality and over time they are starting to turn to color with backgrounds and I feel like I am peeping in to another dimension or reality as it is happening.

I read that when your eyes close your third eye opens and this is emanating from there.

One of the most fascinating things is most of them time we are all seeing strangers (some have a familiar feel others do not).

Men and woman both for me, but no children yet.

One of my current theories/feelings is that this somehow has to do with inter- dimensional beings (know throughout time by many names to many cultures). We are out of phase with them and they cannot really manifest in our world in the physical sense. There are different types of them and some (maybe all) are attracted to our energy/aura. We are their food (particularly when we scared or giving off other really negative energy). But this is just one idea I have. On the other end of the spectrum this could just be some way the brain sorts itself out in some people.

Either way it is pretty different and interesting in an otherwise often mundane world. Glad to know the rest of you are out there. I wish we could share more of our experiences and try to figure this out together as I think the answer lies within us.

navid January 27, 2015 at 11:52 pm

I too have the same problem ..I see faces and eyes …alot..its like k can see then whenever i want i just close my eyes and start looking and wait like a minute..and now I noticed I can make them those eyes angry as well…if I breath hard from my lungs with a snore and take that force up to the middle of my forehead I can even see some waves going and merging with them and it seems to make those eyes and faces angrier and scary….I don’t know I was thinking maybe i have a tumor or something but looks like there’s a lot of people like me…and I see animals too…wolves and cats alot…

koraboros February 2, 2015 at 9:27 am

I see the faces for as long as I can remember. The faces appears from the black background, they “zoom-in” in like 2-3 seconds, then stay clear for 0.5 second and the next face is starting to appear. Usually I see hundreds of faces before I fall a sleep.

In my case all of the faces are extremely devilish/demonic/sick to a point where it can not be described using words. Sometimes its even looks closer to an “object-thing” than to a face – but you know it is a face. Funny is that they don’t scare me, instead I am even quite impressed how creative the human brain can be.
If I could remember and paint them I would do a *lot* scarier pictures than Zdzislaw Beksinski.

I did a bit of googling around that topic and found out that usually most people see normal faces, the ones who tends to see mostly old faces sometimes also see demonic type faces, and those who see demonic never see anything else.

ps.
I am quite envy of all of you who see cute female faces…

BillB February 2, 2015 at 2:03 pm

Hi. It’s me again, my second post here.

I just wanted to say it’s really comforting to know that others experience the same thing.

When I first decided to google a month or so ago, I was just curious and didn’t think much of it. So I was shocked at what I call the “avalanche” of experiencers I found on the Net.

My daughter graduated with a degree in psychology so she was the first I asked about the phenomenon. I wanted to find out if it was covered in any subjects she took in college. She told me no, it was new to her. She was equally fascinated by the phenomenon.

So it looks like science hasn’t yet made a study on it.

Just to give more background, I am a Pacific islander. I came to the US in my late 20s. I remember seeing the faces long before that.

I imagine most people here “Westerners”. I mention that because I think it shows the phenomenon is not a cultural thing. I also remember reading an account by one from Thailand in another online forum.

BillB February 2, 2015 at 2:20 pm

I was able to download an earlier edition of Robert Bruce’s “Astral Dynamics” (possibly first edition as it does not say what edition it is).

I also bought and read his revised, 2009 edition of the book from Amazon.

In both books, I understand that we may be “accidentally” projecting ourselves to a certain plane of the astral realm.

(Actually, we never “accidentally” project ourselves according to the book, because our souls travel and therefore “project” to the astral dimension every time we sleep. But the memories of our traveling soul is recorded elsewhere — akashic? — and not in our physical brain so we have no memory of our soul’s travels when we wake up. The practice of meditation does just that — master the craft of letting the body sleep while the mind remains awake so we may “download” our soul’s memory into our physical brain. Anyway…)

One of the places our souls visit while projecting is what Bruce calls the real-time zone. It is the place between our physical realm and the astral realm and where souls of the recently deceased spend some time.

From the pdf that I downloaded, on p. 203, he describes this place:

BillB February 2, 2015 at 2:21 pm

“Although many parts of the astral planes appear to be full of life, it is fairly rare to meet up with interested beings while traveling there. But it does happen occasionally. Just about every astral plane and realm has some kind of local inhabitants. These life forms often live in specific areas or realms, and often seem quite unaware of any reality or dimensional level other than their own. They are often amazed when they meet an astral traveler. Other types seem to be well aware of other dimensions, but most seem to have little patience with projectors and tend to ignore them.

“In a way, approaching astral beings you do not know is very much like approaching strangers in the physical dimension. Most strangers ignore other people, even when politely asked directions or questions. Strangers will, at best, give cursory answers as they hurry away while actively trying to ignore you. Astral beings, too, don’t seem to enjoy getting involved with the affairs of strangers, usually having much more important things to do with their time.”

In his 2009 revised edition, he omits the above. Instead he describes the beings whose faces we see not as inhabitants but, if I remember right, as creations of the collective consciousness.

Not sure why he made the change.